[Gllug] Data pots and optics

Ian Norton-Badrul bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sun Jul 3 15:21:31 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:
> Not much greater knowledge here!
> 64K circuits for voice (hence ISDN lines being, conicidentally, 64K)
>
> The 64K circuits are multiplexed together, as you say, into a series of
> larger and larger trunks.
> The overall term for this is SONET - Synchronous Optical Network.
> So any large data pipe would be a multiple of 64K.
> I believe the US and the rest of the world used different multiples, but
> I may be wrong.

Yep, Its and international (mostly) standard, in the uk we call it SDH
(synchronous digital hierachy) in the US its called SONET.

the us and europe use different multiples of the basic levels but can
interoperate at very high rates or some of the lower rates.

SDH STM1 = SONET OC3 = ~155mbits

etc

Ian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk