[Gllug] [OT] How secure is MAC Address restrictions on wi-fi?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Jul 25 09:46:24 UTC 2005

On 25/7/2005, "Wiehe, Simon" <simon.wiehe at csfb.com> wrote:

>My Linux box is running as a server and provides a DCHP server service for clients
>is there anything I can do there (other than the obvious firewall) to prevent
>someone getting into my network, e.g. by forcing them to log in to the network?

To be truly secure, you want to give IPs to anyone, don't bother using
WEP and have all clients log into a VPN before gaining access to the
external network.

Alternatively, just open it up and let people use it.  Block the P2P
ports if you like.  If someone abuses it, then think about closing it
up.  Unless, of course, you have bandwidth charging on your Net
connection, in which case you should get a new ISP.

Opening up the wireless network is really just providing a service to
other tech-savvy people in your area.  I met a lovely guy from a couple
of doors away through this, turns out he worked for Mandrake in Paris.
He found me because, while waiting for his own ADSL to get installed he
found my network.  The SSID is simon-at-rumble-dot-net )( so it
advertises how to get in touch, and its openness.

If you go the open route, make sure you close outbound port 25.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk