[Gllug] Re: Dual core AMDs

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jul 13 09:13:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 10:20:40PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 21:22 +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> >>  6502,
> >

> > They still around? Ah, the old Z80 v 6502 religious wars
>
> I think they still get some use (both of them) as deeply-embedded
> cores. I seem to recall reading some company doing video-processing
> ASICs who lobbed 3 or 4 Z-80 cores around the ASIC to do control
> functions...

There's a freely licensed Z80 clone core available here.  Apparently
it can be clocked at several tens of MHz, which would probably make
Manic Miner quite tricky:

http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/t80/overview

Regarding Z80 "vs" 6502, I can't imagine anyone would actually want
to program a 6502 after using a Z80 ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.