[Gllug] BBC Open Source

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Sat Jul 16 11:03:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 16 Jul 2005 11:45, John Hearns wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-16 at 10:16 +0100, Robert Newson wrote:
> > James McGuigan wrote:
> >

> > Agreed: Road Tax should go on Roads, Fuel Tax should go on
> > Fuel/Transport
>

> There is no such thing as Road Tax. It is Vehicle Excise Duty, and is
> a taxation which goes into the general pool like all other taxes.
> Should Tobacco Duty be exclusively reserved for setting up hospitals
> to treat smokers?

All taxes classed as "duty" are different in that the Government uses
them (or attempts to, at least) to directly affect the population's
behaviour. To that extent, yes - if I smoke or drink and therefore
suffer a particular condition I should be treated "free" as anyone
else, without consideration of the *choices*  have made to pay more
tax.

Likewise, since the government attemp to use VED to change our
car-buying and driving habits it should be spent on public transport.

--
"The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out."
                                                (Chinese Proverb)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk