[Gllug] River Thames

Geoff Fox geoff.fox at old-leigh.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 18:54:16 UTC 2005

John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:20 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
>
>>If anyone has a view of the Thames up-river of Dartford Crossing, and
>>is interested, an aircrafyt carrier with a Harrier up front is coming
>>up the THames presently (just passed Northfleet/Tilbury).
>

> Woo!
> The last time, the Hermes anchored off Greenwich, at the liner terminal
> which is at the mouth of Deptford Creek.
> I gather such a large draught ship cannot get up further.
> And it was a very, very low tide earlier today (anyone nautical
> care to explain why?)

High tide at Southend today was 5.3m and low this morning 1.37 (info
from xtides, a good ol' Gnu Public License prog). Tides are ok for
sailing locally but looking further up river the chart datum of the tide
even as far as Tower Bridge is over 5.8m. Not certain what draft
an aircraft carrier is but probably wouldn't have a problem getting to
the tower if it's going that far especially on a rising tide.

I saw the ship today at Leigh-on-Sea but was too far away to notice as
an aircraft carrier. The ship was so tall that it was clearly visible
whilst passing behind Canvey Island.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk