[Gllug] River Thames

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jul 12 17:52:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 15:20 +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> If anyone has a view of the Thames up-river of Dartford Crossing, and
> is interested, an aircrafyt carrier with a Harrier up front is coming
> up the THames presently (just passed Northfleet/Tilbury).

Woo!
The last time, the Hermes anchored off Greenwich, at the liner terminal
which is at the mouth of Deptford Creek.
I gather such a large draught ship cannot get up further.
And it was a very, very low tide earlier today (anyone nautical
care to explain why?)

I often see cruise liners on the way up to Tower Bridge and the pool of
London, one tug at front, one at the back. But these are modern vessels,
and I would guess low draught.

Do you happen to know the reason for the visit?

There was an aircrat carrier in Portsmouth last week, as part of the
festival of the sea.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk