[Gllug] When a CD is not a CD

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 31 15:56:25 UTC 2005

On Sunday 31 July 2005 16:24, Richard Jones wrote:
> Take them back to the shop stating that the CD doesn't work on your
> computer (true) and you want a refund (which you are entitled to,
> without any quibbles).  There is a small but noticable cost involved
> for both the shop and the music label - if enough people do this, it
> will make a difference.

To be honest, I was more curious of what they did and how, if any, it could be
circumvented, rather than these particular pieces of music. Those that know
me very well, know that there is only one perfect piece of music (Barbie Girl
by Aqua!).
I will probably keep these as an example of incorporated corruption.
Since posting I have discovered the whole world of Anti copy-control websites.

> My more general advice on the music.  There have been probably tens of
> thousands of "golden greats from the 60s/70s/80s/90s" albums made.
> Most of them now reside in the bargain basement at Notting Hill Music
> & Video Exchange.  There's not a lot of difference between compilation
> albums made now and ones made before, so why not save yourself a
> fortune and spend an afternoon browsing there for 2nd hand stuff?

A good idea to spend another afternoon, and one that I will do.

I did find that by using Scrubby in the Sweep tool I can remove the errors and
make a very passable version. A little long winded, but I suppose if someone
has a piece of music they just have to have, if is worthwhile.

I am lucky in that I do not have a golden ear and think of using cheap bell
wire for speaker connections is perfectly adequate. (Maybe this is why I like
Aqua :-)  )

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk