[Gllug] Re: Dual core AMDs

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 20:57:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 20:34 +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:
> Richard Huxton wrote:
[snip]
> And BTW I thought the Z80 was a much better chip than the 6502 and never
> understood why Acorn/BBC didn't use it instead.

Possibly because the Acorn people were more discerning than you?  :-)

Seriously though, the Acorn designers were experienced with the 6502 and
so it was an obvious processor to use.  A 2 MHz 6502 also beat the pants
off a 4 MHz Z80 for performance which in itself would be a compelling
reason, even if the 6502 weren't so much nicer to program.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk