[Gllug] Advanced versions of cron for scheduling

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jul 15 19:07:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 19:48 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> We are currently using cron to schedule batch jobs which must be run
> at certain times of the day, but we're starting to hit limits with
> this approach.  So as a result we're casting around looking for a
> "better cron".

What do you mean by 'batch jobs' ???

I'm not being sarcastic. Have you thought about using a scheduler/load
balancer like Gridengine?

http://gridengine.sunsource.net

For your requirements

(1) Gridengine has job dependencies

(2) Not sure  - though you could do a qsub f the same
job as the last step in a job.

Not sure about 'how to start the jobs when a machine boots' though.

Are you running cron jobs to make updates to a machine?
Or are these computatonal tasks?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk