[Gllug] OT - simple HTML query

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jul 31 11:54:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 06:46:40PM +0100, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2005, at 18:24, Andy McGarty wrote:
> >http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/ssi.html

Template toolkit is probably a better choice.  We recently redesigned
a website using TT and it worked very well.  I have a Makefile which I
can send you if you want to see how it worked.

> Further off topic but you may like to position the menu using CSS and
> ensure that it's the last item in your HTML file. This ensures that
> the menu is not what is seen in search engines' summaries.

Damn, I was going to say that too!

Here's a redesign of a website which we did which employs this
technique.  In this instance, the menu is located along the top of the
page, rather than down the left hand side, but the same principle
applies.

http://www.merjis.com/tmp/deliverance/

If you have Firefox, do View -> Page Style -> No Style to see the
actual structure of the page.  Note that the menu is really a bullet
list, and it's located down in the HTML to help search engines.

(The irony is that the client didn't want our redesigned site ...
Compare it to the original, which is a mess:
http://www.deliverance.co.uk/ )

Here's another example of the same thing, with the menu on the left:

http://www.j-london.com/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.