[Gllug] Police want new powers

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Fri Jul 22 14:27:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005, Alain Williams wrote:

> In all of the hue & cry about wanting to stop the terrorists I have heard
> nothing about the real reasons *why* they are doing it -- it is deeper
> than us joining the illegal war in Iraq. Can anyone enlighten me as to
> what al-quaida & friends are really all about ?

Iraq is exacerbation not cause. The cause goes back a very long way - I
was told last night that some of the extremists begin their complaints
with the liberation of spain from the Moors (they see it differently of
course). Certainly the Al-Qaeda movement seems to have some of its motive
arising from the western hegemony over Saudi Arabia.

We uphold leadership in arab countries that support our interests over
those of the local populace - often to the detriment of the muslim
faithful. We locate our military in the muslim holy places.

In Afganistan we overthrew a specifically muslim government and imposed a
puppet regime friendly to our interests. We continue to fight a war their
against forces that fight specifically in the name of Islam.

In Iraq we show little or no real respect for the holy places of the Shia
and the US treatment of the Sunni makes many new enemies.

> I suspect that if the 'west' acted a little more fairly on the world
> stage then we wouldn't have 1/2 the problems that we do have.
> [[ think: world trade, ...]]

I don't think trade is really all that important to this. It really does
come down to religious matters not worldly ones. The trade and other
worldly matters are more add-on complaints than causal ones.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk