[Gllug] Motherboard recommendation

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jul 18 18:20:58 UTC 2005

I know this topic keeps coming up, but as the world of motherboards
changes constantly it is still worth asking.

I am looking at building a new computer using the new AMD Athlon 64
chips (not the X2 ones, too pricey though support for those via a bios
upgrade would be nice).  I am planning on running Linux on it (and
eventually 64 bit linux) and I know that some chipsets have better
support than other, but I don't really know which ones are which so
suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I am thinking of buying this system this Saturday at the Tottenham
Court Road computer fair, however, if anyone has any suggestions on who
to buy from or not to buy from, that too would be appreciated.

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk