[Gllug] Fedora - Large installation Help

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 23:33:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 05:22, wendy carr wrote:

Sorry for a late answer!

> I guess you guys are right, dhcp is the way to go.
> I ve got few pxe bootable desktops but most are not.
> Worse is they dont have floppy drives, what do you
> reckon burning bootable image ad kickstart on to CD ?
>
> Also any idea how many instalaations i can run in
> parallel ? The server is dual amd with 1G memory.

I do this all the time with Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and I doubt Fedora
will be much different.

Create your kickstart-file and put it up on a webserver.  Let's say the
servers ip-address is 192.168.1.2, you boot the machine from a CD (I
assume it doesn't have linux on it already, if so, you can do this
without CD) and type the following command:

linux ks=http://192.168.1.2/mykickstartfile.cfg

Even better, put this entry in dhcpd.conf:

filename /kickstart/mykickstartfile.cfg
nextserver 192.168.1.2

Make sure that /kickstart is nfs-exported. At the boot prompt you just
type

linux ks

If the machines have linux on them already, copy the vmlinuz and
initrd.img from the images/pxeboot directory from CD one into boot,
modify your grub to look something like this:

default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Install Fedora
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-fedora ks
        initrd /initrd-fedora
title Fedora (2.6.12)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.6.12

Boot your machine and watch  it go!

I regularly install about 1.5G of data on about 20 machines at a time
and it takes me about 15 minutes on a P4, 2.4GHz with 512M Ram.  But I
have a dodgy network card...

LJ
--
1608 Spring Hill Road, Suite 350