[Gllug] Tip: Scripting passwd

James McGuigan james-lists at worldfuturecouncil.org
Thu Jul 14 00:55:17 UTC 2005

Anthony Newman wrote:
> James McGuigan wrote:
>
>> I was trying to create a script to automate account creation via a web
>> form, and this point had me stumped for a few hours, so I thought I'd
>> share it with you.
>>

> Why would you want to do this? I'd have thought there were much better
> ways to skin cats than with something as potentially dodgy for the
> unwary as mangling passwd files with CGI scripts...
>

> Ant

My intended use was with the PureFTP virtual users account (signup and
create a website with FTP account), and not the main system password
file (which is potentially dangerous). I'm trying to strike a balance
between paranoid and workable, the main item being doing admin tasks as
a non-privileged user (other than the www-data user) and only allowing
specific commands through the sudoers file.

The alternative is to require a human to authenticate all requests, and
manually ssh into the box and run such a script, its something I'll
consider before putting the site into production.

--
Rules are written for those who lack the ability to truly reason,
But for those who can, rules become nothing more than guidelines,

Earth Emergency - A Call to Action (www.earthemergency.org)
Sustainable Society Directory (www.sustainable-society.co.uk)
World Future Council Initiative (www.worldfuturecouncil.org)
Open co-op (http://open.coop)