[Gllug] CD Encyclopedia

Mamading Ceesay mamading at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:02:53 UTC 2005

On 13/07/05, John Southern <john at sinoda.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Although I tend to use Wikipedia when online, is there any CD or DVD
> encyclopedia that is Linux compatible?

This has been on my mind recently.  Last night, I stumbled upon a
compilation reference pack called A Mind Of Knowledge which contained
4 titles including Encyclopedia Britannica Millenium 4th Edition (or
similar) .  When I perused the back of the box, I noticed that most of
them had Windows-based interfaces.

However, I did notice that one of the titles, the Penguin Hutchinson
Reference Suite (which is a compilation in it's own right, containing
amongst other titles the Hutchinson Encyclopedia see
http://www.helicon.co.uk/products/cds/phrs.htm ) used a
web browser for it's interface.  This leads me to suspect that it
might be possible to get it to run under Linux without resorting to
Wine and friends.  A glance at the tech support page for it (
http://www.helicon.co.uk/products/support/phrs.htm ) hasn't disabused
me of this notion.

HTH

--