[Gllug] [OT] Maven alikes

Mamading Ceesay mamading at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 11:48:46 UTC 2005

On 20/07/05, Daniel P. Berrange <dan at berrange.com> wrote:

> Personally I'm not a fan of hooking builds into VCM commit hooks
> for a couple of reasons.
>
>  * With non-trivial projects it can lead to very long delays between
>    a developer comitting and it being available for other developres
>    to checkout & work with. One project I've recently worked on had
>    a build cycle time of 8 hours.
>
>  * I like to think co-developers have at least some level of clue
>    that they can be reasonably trusted to commit correct code. Sure
>    mistakes occassionally happen which cause breakage, but one would
>    hope these are pretty rare. An asynchronous build process not
>    directly tied to checkins will catch these rare mistakes almost
>    as quickly as a synchornous one tied to commits, without penalizing
>    developers in the common case

Fair comment, which is why I also suggested the use of Buildbot (for
the asynchronous build process) as well as the use of commit hooks.
Depending on the project, the team, the policies, the use of either or
both may be appropriate.  They should both be in the toolbox and used
as necessary.

--
Mamading Ceesay

A Letter To The Terrorists, From London
http://www.lnreview.co.uk/news/005167.php
"It's hard to panic the British. They've dealt with the Blitz, the
IRA, the Silurians, the Zarbi, the Daleks, the Cybermen..."
http://www.livejournal.com/users/coalescent/239250.html
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk