[Gllug] Re: Dual core AMDs

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:59:04 UTC 2005

Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> On Tuesday 12 Jul 2005 21:22, Rich Walker wrote:
>
>> The PIC is *not* a RISC CPU!
>
> I would strongly argue (probably wrongly 8-) ) that the minimal instruction

The RISC design philosophy says "measure instruction usage patterns,
select instructions to optimise benefit".

The PIC design process for the smaller ones was more of "we have X
transistors, how many instructions can we get out of that?"

But the early PICs are definitely *minimal*

> set of the smaller PICs is seriously "reduced" - certainly when compared to
> something like the Z80 series of processors (which I did almost all my early
> embedded stuff on).

I always liked the side-effect of random logic decoding: extra
instructions!

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml