[Gllug] Long-term storage of digital photographs

Adam Bower adam at thebowery.co.uk
Tue Jul 19 22:11:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 08:05:39AM +0100, John Winters wrote:

> Do CD-Rs and DVD-Rs have proven data life?

In my totally non-scientific testing suite, known as "my car" I fitted
an mp3 CD player 2 years ago. At the same time I burned quite a few CDs
of some of my mp3 music collection to some of the *cheapest* CD-Rs I
could buy at the time. All of the CD-Rs still play fine, even though
they have not been kept in cases so are heavily scratched, have had lots
of exposure to sunlight and of course lots of hot and cold. Of course,
as none of this data is important I fully expect these CDs to last for a
couple of millenia ;)

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem