[Gllug] [OT] Maven alikes

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 20 10:55:22 UTC 2005

This is not strictly Linux related, but an issue for a lot of us.

I'm poking about Maven and its associated plugins to almost everything
source code, or Java, related. Can I canvas opinion about what people
think of Maven, and other tools that help to automate software project
management. Is there anything else out there that seeks to tie together
all the different tools around source code, (documentation, testing,
build, quality metrics, etc.)? One of my gripes is that Maven becomes
your build tool, which makes me uncomfortable.

In the specific case I'm thinking of, there's a very large government
department, with awful development practices. I'm hoping to bring them
out of the 1950s, and allow them to build better (big) projects. Believe
it or not, I actually would like to see taxes spent more effectively...
This is a work related enquiry for me, but I expect/hope that it may be
of general interest to others here.

Be sure to tell me off-list if you don't want this here, and I'll try to
kill the thread as quickly and quietly as possible.

Thanks people,

Richard
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk