[Gllug] FC1 dm801 Sound Card Config

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Fri Jul 8 19:23:20 UTC 2005

Hi,

Has anyone here got an fm801 sound card working on a 2.4.2* kernel. I am
fighting the driver trying to get it going.

Here's a few details....

The default settings bomb out as follows...

[root at server pci]# service alsasound start
Starting sound driver snd-fm801
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrmasmp/kernel/sound/snd-fm801.o:
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrmasmp/kernel/sound/snd-fm801.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrmasmp/kernel/sound/snd-fm801.o failed
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.26-1.ll.rhfc1.ccrmasmp/kernel/sound/snd-fm801.o: insmod
snd-fm801 failed
                                                           [FAILED]
[root at server pci]#

snd-fm801.o is really there and lspci says....

00:13.0 Multimedia audio controller: Fortemedia, Inc Xwave QS3000A [FM801]
(rev b2)
        Subsystem: Fortemedia, Inc: Unknown device 1319
        I/O ports at c400 [size=128]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

I've tried specifying every combination of the index, irq and io options in
modules.conf that I can think of to persuade the system that the card
exists. As far as I can see the card is supposed to work in FC1 except that
the lspci says it's an unknown device. But it says that about the video and
network cards as well and they are working.

Alsaconf seems to find the card and know about some of the settings in
modules.conf for it.

The only unusual thing in this system is that it is running an smp kernel.
Was the development for it not finished in FC1smp and so the thing hangs in
bits? I wrote to the author of the driver but haven't heard back.

I be ever so grateful for any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Ken

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk