[Gllug] London explosions

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 15:00:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 15:51 +0100, Michael Moritz wrote:
> On Monday 11 July 2005 15:46, Nix wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Christopher Hunter whispered secretively:
> > > The ID card system will be utterly useless - after all EDS have been
> > > chosen to implement it.  It's unlikely ever to work.  It's also one of
> > > the very best reasons to emigrate.  The "free country" we used to live in
> > > has long gone.
> >
> > Most European countries have ID cards too, as does the US.
>
> the us doesnt, that's why they keep pushing them via europe.

I belive the US has compulsory carry driving licences (if you're
driving), and as pretty much everyone in the US drives, there being
effectively no public transport outside major urban areas, the driving
licence is effectively a form of ID card.

Most of Europe does have ID cards, and people I've spoken to from
elsewhere in Europe sometimes don't see the problem with ID cards. IMO,
the cards themselves aren't problematic, it's the National Identity
Register I have issues with (and compulsory carry, as and when they try
to introduce that).

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk