[Gllug] BBC Open Source

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 06:51:22 UTC 2005

On Thu 14 Jul, Rich Walker wrote:

> So, should we
>
> (a) pay our license fee as a show of support for the staff
> (b) boycott the license fee to remove legitimacy from the management?
> (c) Any other ideas?
>
> cheers, Rich.

 (a)  The license fee is not set by the BBC. The BBC must "justify" the
license fee, which in practice means toe the government line where
necessary.
 (b)  Boycotting the license fee may remove you from circulation. I once
heard that the majority of female prisoners in the UK were prosecuted for TV
License evasion.
 (c)  Tell the government what you think of them (that is both the BBC and
the government).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk