[Gllug] usb printing nightmare

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Wed Jul 20 14:12:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 01:27:19PM +0100, David wrote:
> I'll just pass this on to Wednesday, who had the misfortune to do NT
> support for many years, and wait for the maniacal laughter to stop.
>
> It is true that it's generally easier to attempt to set up a printer
> and sometimes that works. When it doesn't, though - which it will at
> some point even if it works right away - the situation is dire beyond
> belief.

Absolutely.  They made the userspace side of printing needlessly
complex, for a start.  A Word user, for example, can set printing
preferences in four separate places and conflicting preferences in
different places can have unpredictable consequences.  Tracking down the
cause of these errors can take a lot of time.  As for the printer
drivers themselves, these have become worse over time, IME.  Clunky,
over-featured, horribly complex, fragile and constantly in your face.

At least they eventually realised that moving printing into kernel space
was a stupid idea.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.