[Gllug] Fedora - Large installation Help

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Jul 19 09:53:27 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 10:22 +0100, wendy carr wrote:
> Hi Thanks all,
>
> I guess you guys are right, dhcp is the way to go.
> I ve got few pxe bootable desktops but most are not.
> Worse is they dont have floppy drives, what do you
> reckon burning bootable image ad kickstart on to CD ?
CD, or think of USB key, if they will boot from USB.
I guess not if they don't do PXE.

> Also any idea how many instalaations i can run in
> parallel ? The server is dual amd with 1G memory.
Good question....

The limiting step will be the NFS server.
Up your number of NFS daemons running.

For PXE booting, when you are just booting then letting the machine
start up (ie. not doing a Kickstart) we have some big clusters
out there. But we use sequenced PDUs so everything does not start with
the sound of opening circuit breakers :-) And in the case of the big Sun
installs I scripted a power on sequence with a 5 second delay.

Sticks finger in the wind, ponders, and says try a dozen machines
at a time. Watch 'top' on your server and see those NFS daemons waiting.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk