[Gllug] Re: Dual core AMDs

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 19:34:20 UTC 2005

Richard Huxton wrote:

> Ah, the joys of 6502 assembler and BASIC on the Acorn Atom. Adding 10KB
> of RAM with 10 separate chips :-)

I added, IIRC, 28K to mine. Even with piggy backed chips with one
address pin bent out, some of it was still hanging out of the back on a
ribbon cable:) Oh, and an overclock to a whole 2MHz. With an early
equivalent of the "turbo" button you used to get on 486s, consisting of
a light switch screwed into a hole cut in the case, to make the timing
sensitive stuff work.

And BTW I thought the Z80 was a much better chip than the 6502 and never
understood why Acorn/BBC didn't use it instead. But the ZX81 was
horrible and the Atom was a much nicer machine as a whole. IMHO of course.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk