[Gllug] port forwarding

Peter Joanes pjoanes at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 10:24:20 UTC 2005

On Friday 24 June 2005 11:10, t.clarke wrote:
> When I tried it, it looked very much as if the incoming packets were
> being directed to the webserver box but the replies were going nowhere.
Does the webserver have the debian machine set as its default gateway? This is
necessary beacause the forwarded connections must pass back through the
debian box. One way to achieve this is by rewriting the source addresses as
well, with an SNAT rule, although this will reduce the usefulness of your
webserver logs.

> In the meantime I am using an almighty kludge of a small 'c' program
> listening on port 80 the ADSLdebian machine and then sending them on to the
> other machine and then passing the replies back.
Another way to do this, that can be quite quickly put in place, is to run
Apache with a virtual host configuration that acts as a reverse proxy (using
Rewrite rules).

-	Pete.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk