[Gllug] ADSL upload speeds

Peter Childs bluedragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 20:29:39 UTC 2005

John Winters wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 11:15 +0100, Liam Smit wrote:
>

>>I've worked in a call centre and it is standard procedure to only give
>>first names.
>>

>True, however the fact that it is common practice doesn't in any way
>excuse it.
>

>> I believe it was for security purposes,
>>

>This is a common reason given, although it is a blatant lie.  The real
>reason is to prevent you (the customer) from being able to follow up
>something when they balls it up yet again.

    Not completly true Call centers often will use first names and
somtimes they are not in fact the persons actual first more like a
handle like people oftern use on the web. It does not mean you can't
escalate the call as you can always quote the first name and they ought
to know who it is in fact anayway. Its quite common for Sam to be so
more complicated asian or foreign name that no brit could remeber anyway!

>Some organisations (e.g. Demon) even make up fictitious individuals to
>sign letters.  So you'll get a letter signed (or rather, not signed -
>just a printed name and no signature) by "Able Baker Charlie - Senior
>Customer Services Representative", but if you write back to Able Baker
>Charlie pointing out he hasn't addressed your query you will never get a
>reply and if you phone, at any hour of the day or night, he is always in
>a meeting.

    But of course we all get junk mail and need to guard against it some
how however, They should at least own up to who Able Baker Carlie is and
be able to direct the matter to the correct group of people.

>Common practice these may be, but they are utterly inexecusable.
>Boycott any organisation which uses them - the message is they regard
>you as shit and will treat you as such.
>
>John

    Bocotting this practice could mean you are boycotting everyone. Its
could also be sean as racisit and get you in trouble for different reasons.

    Silly I know but for all you know the Seinior Customer Services
Representative really is called Able and yes he probably is far too busy
to talk to you and is letting one of his depraties hadle the problem, Or
hes not on shift or somthing They may tell you some silly reasons but
nobody is aloud to work 24x7.

Peter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk