[Gllug] ADSL upload speeds

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 14:35:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:17:13PM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> I'm still wondering why I can't get more than 256k upload speed on
> broadband lines. Where is the restriction?

BT

> ISP? Wires?
> Am I the only one wanting a 1M upload speed?

BT's wholesale ADSL has a 256Kbit/s upload speed restriction. Most ISPs
are merely resellers of this (I think it's called IPStream).

If you want anything faster, I think your only options will be a
'business' service, or to see if anybody has unbundled your local
exchange. Last I checked, even the cable companies seemed to be only
256Kbit/s up.

Search for your exchange here, to see lots of interesting information:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk