[Gllug] x.org 6.8.2 and backspace

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jun 23 12:04:18 UTC 2005

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Richard Jones stated:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:37:40PM +0100, Nix wrote:
>> What key does xev say is generated when you hit backspace? If it's not
>> BackSpace, the problem is Xkb (unlikely, but I've seen it happen):
>> otherwise, it's readline and/or the terminal emulator to blame.
>
> It says:
>
> KeyPress event, serial 21, synthetic NO, window 0x1e00001,
>     root 0x40, subw 0x1e00002, time 347705745, (52,50), root:(352,130),
>     state 0x0, keycode 22 (keysym 0xff08, BackSpace), same_screen YES,
>     XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>     XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (08) "
>     XFilterEvent returns: False

That's correct.

> and indeed now doing:
>
> xmodmap -e 'keycode 22 = BackSpace'

That's the identity transformation.

> does fix the problem (I didn't realise one had to restart xterms for
> the change to take effect - duh).

Er, you don't. Something else is wrong; probably the .Xresources stuff
mentioned in the RH bug report pointed to by Dave Cross.

(You often *do* need to restart programs before they'll pick up changes
in the X resource database.)

--
`It's as bizarre an intrusion as, I don't know, the hobbits coming home
 to find that the Shire has been taken over by gangsta rappers.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk