[Gllug] Network upgrades

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Tue Jun 14 15:36:13 UTC 2005

Ian Lewis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're just starting a network upgrade as our kit is ancient and our backups
> aren't worth the tape they are written on. The upgrade path will involve the
> use of Network Attached Storage which we have no experience of here.
>
> Is there anyone out there who can give me an idea of where I can get a
> demonstration of NAS? It's probably dead simple but I'd rather spend the
> money on something I understand. We are, literally, a charity case...

   We use a snap server from snap appliance in our company. Think about
it like an embedded nfs (appletalk/smb) server. We're quite happy of it.
Give it an IP address and configure it by web. Sends alerts by e-mail,
syslog, hotplug hard drives, it's a cool machine IMHO. And doesn't run
on Windows embedded  os (important,  for obvious reasons :).

Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk