[Gllug] Square brackets [OT]

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 15:19:15 UTC 2005

Richard Huxton wrote:

> Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>
>> This one time, at band camp, Ashley Evans wrote:
>>

>>> I've no idea how these address came to exist in Outlook anyway.
>>

>> I just tested this in Outlook 2003 with Simon Rumble
>> [simon at rumble.net] and it changed the address to the valid Simon
>> Rumble <simon at rumble.net>.  Perhaps it was something in older
>> versions of LookOut and that's why it automagically converts them for
>> you?
>

> Outlook 2000 lets you enter all sorts of rubbish into the
> address-field and will try to send it too. Sample: £$%^*&aaron.com
>
> Presumably there's an exchange-server addressing mode that lets you
> use arbitrary names.

In my own test with the beast it sent fine after it translated the [ ...
] address.

Going back to the users who had the original problem they'd pasted
something like:

name [mailto: name at domain]  from a previous outlook email they'd
received.  They got told...

Feel free to "tell" me.

/me runs and hides.

Thanks