[Gllug] Recovering ISOs from a FUBARed HDD

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 23:46:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 17:19 +0100, John Winters wrote:

> Now my question - is there any way I could have done it if I hadn't had
> the USB device to hand?  Any way of getting those files over the network
> using either Knoppix or the Sarge installation CD?

If you've got a network up, netcat is nice, simple, and likely to be on
many install disks. If you've got ssh you can just use it directly, with
something like:-

ssh user at remote.host "cat > destfile" < sourcefile

The expect distribution apparently comes with an example program called
ftp-inband that can copy files over a telnet or similar link, using just
standard unix utils.

If you've not got a network at all, there's also zmodem, which can be
used over a serial line, or over a telnet or ssh connection.

All that said though, given that USB mass storage support is getting
fairly ubiquitous these days, and 1Gb plus USB key devices are no longer
too expensive, the USB option is fast becoming the simplest path, IMHO.
You need nothing more than USB hardware, kernel support, and filesystem
utils. Also, with USB available as an install medium, practically all
the installers out there support USB attached storage. So, the various
arcane methods are fun to contemplate, but in practice, I reach for a
USB key any time I'm stuck without ssh/scp/ftp....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk