[Gllug] Graduates paying for IT training before employment

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Wed Jun 1 12:46:59 UTC 2005

Steve Nelson wrote:

> Dunno.  We do a lot of training.  Until recently this was all paid for
> up-front by the company.  The accountants have spotted this, and now
> require employees to pay for their training and then expense it.  The
> idea, presumably, being that people will either not bother at all, or
> forget to claim.  I think its also designed to ensure a higher 'pass'
> rate - if the employee has to pay for the exam themselves, they'd
> better be sure they'll pass first time.

Throughout my entire career I've never been on any training courses.
When I set-up a local ISP in Norwich I did it by myself through
reading books, experimenting and a little help from the ISP providing
us with the connectivity and a few other contacts.  And that's how
I've got through these things since.

There has been much talk about courses for this in the companies I've
worked for since and regardless of whatever company I've worked for
the net result has been that there hasn't been enough money, not
enough staff to cover, there's no need and so on.

I reckon I must have spent a fortune on training myself through books
over the past ten years and buying/hiring equipment and software and
teaching myself to use it.  But I think it's been worth it.

There are a few courses I would like to do (particularly in the Red
Hat area) but the chances of me actually being able going on them
whether company-sponsored or having to pay for it myself are slim to
nowt.  But I've got this far without any RedHat Certficiation (and
likewise for CCNA or any of the other Cisco courses) so I'm not
particularly concerned at this time.

M.
--
Martyn Drake