[Gllug] Dell Poweredge 4200

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 10:30:37 UTC 2005

I yielded to the hands on imperative and bought one of these things for
£40 on ebay and even drove all the way to Gloucester to collect it.

It makes a hell of a racket but I do want to put it through its paces
before I decide to keep it or sell the components.

But I have a problem. The box has two SCSI cards and 4 HDs (all the HDs
are on the first card, the second runs the CD and tape - no HDs are set
up as RAID) in it and doesn't want to seem to boot from /dev/sda1 (which
is identified as C: by the SCSI BIOS) - where I have installed
knoppix/Debian.

I have read some contradictory/confusing advice about how to do this on
Google - none of which seems to have worked so far - and I was hoping to
cut through the thicket by finding someone here who is familiar with the
problem and can tell me definitively what to do...
--
Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk>