[Gllug] Poor disk performance on IDE raid

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Jun 2 22:52:44 UTC 2005

Hi folks,

We have several identical 2.8GHz P4 servers running Debian sarge with
2.6.8-1-386 kernel and a 3Ware Escalade 7006-2 IDE raid card, with 2 x
160Gb IDE drives in them.

When reading large files, web server logs for example, top shows the
processor spending about 80% of its time waiting for disk IO.

This doesn't seem right to me but it is the same on two machines so I
don't think there's a hardware problem.

Could anyone offer advice regarding the best place to start diagnosing and
fixing this problem ?

Many thanks,

Simon.

--
"Hi this Eddie your shipboard computer and I'm feeling just great guys"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk