[Gllug] Flash-only laptop

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jun 7 22:53:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005, Rich Walker suggested tentatively:
> Adrian McMenamin <adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 14:00 +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
>>

>>> You'd need:
>>> * no swap partition
>>
>> For speed reasons only I assume
>
> No - wear cycles. Flash - 10k-100k cycles writes, which is not long for
> the allocation map alone.

That's why you use JFFS, and make sure you get a non-crap card that has
automatic wear levelling. (Downside: it might be bloody hard to work out
if it *has* or not :/ )

--
`It's as bizarre an intrusion as, I don't know, the hobbits coming home
 to find that the Shire has been taken over by gangsta rappers.'
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk