[Gllug] iptables and flaky ssh, ftp, vnc

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 16:58:38 UTC 2005

Hi Tom

802.11 (a/b/g) tends to drop quite a few packets and simply resends
them. SSH and certain other connection based protocols may be upset by
this. I know that the latency for wireless as compared to wired
networks is higher due to the packet dropping and that this can mess
things up. Also statistically the dropped packets will sometimes be
your keep alive packets...

Wireless if fine as long as it is all connected via cables.<g>
Seriously though connect your access points via cat5  and all your
problems should go away. It'll only be one cable to run.

Cheers
Liam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk