[Gllug] Sony considers Linux kits for PS3

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Jun 10 08:33:03 UTC 2005

Over on the Beowulf list there is a lot of interest in
the new Cell processor.
This just in. I'm forwarding to GLLUG as I know there will
be interest.

And no intention to steal limelight from our friend on the inside.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/624/624046p1.html?fromint=1

Sony Considers Linux for PS3 Hard Disk
Company hopes to have major non-game software support for new system.
by IGN Staff

June 9, 2005 - Continuing its Ken Kutaragi interview from yesterday (see
our
translation here), Japanese site PC Watch has scored more commentary
from the
father of the PlayStation brand. As with yesterday's interview, today's
interview features Kutaragi touching on his vision of things to come
with the
next generation PS3, this time focusing specifically on the system's
hard
disk and operating system.

In the interview, Kutaragi gives a reason for not building a hard disk
into
the system, stating "We won't have the hard disk equipped by default.
The
reason is, no matter how much we put in, it won't be enough."

Kutaragi seems to have a disfavor for a local hard disk in the first
place,
stating, "The next step is definitely network drives. With the Cell
server,
[the storage] can be accessed from anywhere through the network. In your
own
home, in your friend's home -- wherever you go, you can theoretically
see
(the same network drive)".

However, Kutaragi recognizes the importance of a local drive as he adds,
"But
there are issues with not having hard disk attached to the system as
well.
This is why we've made it so that a 2.5 inch hard disk can be added."
Kutaragi makes it clear that even with a terabyte worth of network
storage,
for the PS3 system to be recognized as a computer, it needs to have a
drive
running an operating system.

And that operating system is... whatever you want it to be, apparently.
Sony
is looking into having Linux installed from the start on the PS3 hard
disk.
Referring to Linux as being "legacy," Kutaragi adds that it's just the
start,
as with Cell, the operating system runs as an application on top of the
basic
Cell OS. The presence of the Cell OS allows for multiple operating
systems to
run on the machine simultaneously, including, of course, Linux, but also
making room for Windows and Apple's Tiger OS.

With an operating system in place, Kutaragi hopes to create an
environment in
which people produce software for Cell and the PS3 -- and not just game
software. Kutaragi hopes to see complex applications such as high
definition
video editing software running on the system. He comments that user
interfaces will improve much more quickly than what's happening in the
PC
world today, and that this will have a direct impact on games.
Additionally,
Kutaragi feels that an open environment will allow for more advanced
game
development tools above the libraries that Sony has provided for its
systems
in the past.

Kutaragi's comments in this latest interview aren't directly related to
videogame applications of the PS3's hard disk. As with previous
interviews,
which are hosted at a Japanese PC technology website, the interviews
focus
more on the computing possibilities of the PS3 system rather than the
gaming
possibilities.

Of particular note is that the question we're all wondering -- will Sony
include a hard disk with the PS3 directly out of the box -- goes
unanswered.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk