[Gllug] Grepping tab-completions

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 16:07:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 16:47 +0100, Ashley Evans wrote:

> May be wrong and it's not what you asked but is the program you want:
> kfmclient ?

Well, kfmclient is for opening urls with the appropriate program, so I
can do something like this:

tom at expensive:~$ kfmclient exec smb://pcb-server/Data/tom/test

and kate opens the test (text) file.

What I was looking for was a way to do arbitrary shell-like things
(sounds illegal but isn't) to such urls. kioexec can do this for single
files if you know where they are, eg:

kioexec cat smb://pcb-server/Data/tom/test
works, but
kioexec ls smb://pcb-server/Data/tom/
doesn't

There is the kio-fuse gateway that lets you mount io slave urls, eg
fish://admin@somehost:~, but the Wiki says

> Get and compile the sources from kde cvs and compile and install fuse_kio.

to which I say 'I'd rather sing a duet with Miss Piggy' and resign
myself to actually doing some work instead of "making my life easier"

cheers
Tom Weissmann

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk