[Gllug] Network upgrades

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 14 16:08:49 UTC 2005

"Ian Lewis" <ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk> writes:

>> > We're just starting a network upgrade as our kit is ancient
>> and our backups
>> > aren't worth the tape they are written on. The upgrade path
>> will involve the
>> > use of Network Attached Storage which we have no experience of here.
>> >
>> I agree with what Rich says.
>>
> I can't disagree, it's a very good point.

S*it, looks like I'm going to have to try following my own advice :->

>> If budget is important to you,
>> you can build your own http://www.openfiler.org/
>>
>> There is a commercially supported version, with hardware.
>
> Thanks for the link I'll give it a try this week.

That did look interesting. The commercial version is definitely
"everything we can put in, we did"  - which you probably want in that
kind of application.

But don't under-estimate taking, say, a large tower case from  Aria, a
vanilla motherboard full of ram, some extra PCI IDE cards, and a lot of
hard drives. If you're willing to build it, you may save enough that you
can build a pair, which helps for redundancy...

(I think it's clear the route I tend to follow. Once you have to pipe
fdisk -l through more to use it on the console, you're getting there
:->)

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml