[Gllug] GnuCash vs KMyMoney

Russell Howe rhowe at siksai.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 15:49:22 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:55:37PM +0100, Mamading Ceesay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody here have experience of using GnuCash and/or KMyMoney for
> managing their personal finances?  I would appreciate informed
> commentary on their comparative merits and fitness for use by a UK
> taxpayer.

KMyMoney I haven't tried, but I use gnucash to see how dismal my
finances are :)

It's not fast (it takes about 5 minutes to load on my machine at home,
which is 'only' a dual 400, running on an NFS mount on a 100Mbit/s
network). It doesn't help that I have about 8 graphs which it draws at
about 1000x800 pixels on loading, looking back through a couple of
years' worth of transactions.

Up until now, I've found it remarkably stable, and even after a crash
(which does happen occasionally, in guile) no data seems to be lost
aside from whatever I hadn't saved.

I'm sure there's more it can do, but it's handled my personal accounts
perfectly adequately, including various foreign currencies (CNY, HKD,
EUR, USD, even AED at one point).

I had to learn a bit of accountancy-type stuff, but the manual explains
just about enough to get started.

I haven't used it to do anything fancy like tax stuff though. I only use
it to see what my balances are/should be, as a record to check against
my statements, and to try to give me some idea of where all my cash goes
:)

> I'm aware that GnuCash can also handle small business bookkeeping and
> accounts but I'm not so interested in that aspect at this point.

Not a clue, on that respect. For business use, I'd think it'd need to be
networkable. There's a postgres addon, but it seems rather incomplete,
unsupported and unreliable. Not that I've tried it, mind you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk