[Gllug] Spamassassin problems

Ian Lewis ian.lewis at dlf.org.uk
Thu Jun 30 15:36:33 UTC 2005

> Well, now while the setup continues to detect and score spam,
> it doesn't
> change the subject line and therefore the spam trapping in procmailrc
> fails.
>
> What's changed/what's gone wrong? Googling has revealed nothing...
>
> My (unchanged) /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf states:
>
> # These values can be overridden by editing
> ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs.cf
> # (see spamassassin(1) for details)

I don't use the settings in user_prefs and prefer to set everything for our
domain in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf (SA 3 on Trustix 2.1)

My set up uses Postfix feeding SA directly. I don't have any truck with
milter-ing.

Here are my SA local.cf settings, for interest.

<quote>
# These values can be overridden by editing ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs.cf
# (see spamassassin(1) for details)
# IL 11/05/2004 We do not use user_prefs.cf at this point.

# These should be safe assumptions and allow for simple visual sifting
# without risking lost emails.
#
# 0 = NO, FALSE     1 = YES, TRUE

# Clear the existing headers and make way for the new ones below...
clear_headers

# Identify # version=3.03 DLF_arachne
version_tag arachne_rules_06jun05

# Permit DNS checks for RBL blacklists
dns_available yes

# Permit only English language
ok_languages en

# This is the score required before messages are considered spam.
#        -0 - - - - 5 - - - - 10+
#  aggressive <-----------> conservative   5 is the Spamassassin default
value
#
# required_hits 4.6 # Deprecated: 21st July 2004
required_hits 4.9

# Do we rewrite the subject or leave it untouched (1 is YES (default))
#rewrite_subject 1

# Adds string to Subject:  Header tag
#subject_tag [-SPAM-]
rewrite_header Subject [-SPAM-](_SCORE_)

# Whitelisting on auto (off as of 9th June 2004).
use_auto_whitelist 1
auto_whitelist_path /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
auto_whitelist_file_mode 0700
auto_whitelist_factor 0.55

# Where to place the Spam Report. 0 is default and thus places the report in
the email body.
#report_header 0

# Do the headers get 'folded' 0 means NO
fold_headers 0

# Report Length. Default is to use the Long form thus 0 is default here
#use_terse_report 0

add_header spam Flag _YESNOCAPS_
add_header all Level _STARS(*)_
add_header all Status _YESNO_, hits=_HITS_ required=_REQD_ (bayes=_BAYES_)
autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ tests=_TESTS_ version=_VERSION_

#
#
#
# Modify some score settings here....
score NO_RDNS2 0.2
score NO_RDNS  0.2
score CLICK_BELOW 0.789
score RCVD_IN_DSBL  1.5
score RCVD_IN_SORBS 1.13
score RCVD_IN_NJABL 1.13
score FAKE_XAUTH    0.8

## See DLF_custom.cf for rules set up for this server. IL 10th May 2004

## Add whitelist entries here....
## Lets add the Bayesian stuff below.... (IL 10th May 2004)

# Set paths for the bayes stuff (IL 9th June 2004)
bayes_path /home/users/spam/.spamassassin/bayes
bayes_file_mode 0700

# Specifically say that we are using Bayes
use_bayes 1

# turn on or off the bayes auto-learning ability
bayes_auto_learn 1

# You may set the bayes autolearning threshold (def 0.1)
bayes_autolearn_threshold_nonspam 2.1
autolearn_threshold_nonspam 2.1

# You can set the bayes autolearn spam threshold (def 12.0)
bayes_autolearn_threshold_spam 5.6
autolearn_threshold_spam 5.65

# Here you can set the quantity of ham/spam learnt before bayes activates.
# default figure is 200
bayes_min_ham_num 200
bayes_min_spam_num 200

# When reporting (spamassassin -r) bayes can automatically acquire the result
bayes_learn_during_report 1
</quote>

Ian Lewis - DLF IT Support Analyst

Disabled Living Foundation (DLF)