[Gllug] Connection reset by peer

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Jun 16 17:05:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 02:50:36PM +0100, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> vnc and ssh are pretty much unusable for me, sessions keep breaking with
> the error "Connection reset by peer". It must be to do with my network
> setup, but'm having problems pinning it down.

Some crappy ADSL routers (like mine) drop NAT connections after a very
short and non-configurable timeout.  The solution - apart from
throwing away aforementioned broken routers - is to send TCP keepalive
packets to keep the connection up.  I have the following line
somewhere early on in my startup scripts:

echo 600 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk