[Gllug] Re: Installing Flash player on Debian

Peter Joanes pjoanes at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 23:35:47 UTC 2005

On Friday 03 June 2005 22:08, Mark Preston wrote:
>  tar -xzvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz
>  cd install_flash_player_7_linux/
>  ./flashplayer-installer
>
> Works for me.

I would like distributions to work to avoid this. I don't want to run an
installer on my system and hopefully I won't have to because it's easy enough
to integrate most programs (even proprietary) with the native package
management scheme.
I want to be able to find out which package a file belongs to, i.e. in this
case, like this:
# equery b /usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
[ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/flashplayer.xpt in *... ]
net-www/netscape-flash-7.0.25

I think most distributions have some equivalent of this, and alternatively I'd
prefer just a tarball, so I don't feel that "./flashplayer-installer" works
for me.

Cheers,
-	Pete.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk