[Gllug] Failed MB BIOS Upgrade

Ashley Evans hoshy at hoshy.co.uk
Mon Jun 13 22:31:04 UTC 2005

Ken Smith wrote:

>Talking of FUBAR’d things – are there any motherboard guru’s here. A BIOS
>upgrade has failed and left it corrupt. The Intel manual describes a method
>to recover this situation by removing a jumper from the board and booting
>with the BIOS update floppy in the drive. The MB should read from the
>floppy, make two beeps, which it does and then it should resume reading the
>floppy – which it doesn't. I suspect its not finding the stuff it should on
>the floppy - I have tried several different versions of the BIOS - no luck.
>
>It’s a D845BG - Intel says it's no longer supported - its only 3 yrs old -
>oh well...
>
>Anyway does anyone here have any more insight into recovery methods
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Ken

Hi Ken. I've never had this happen myself so this is just an idea. You
could desolder the BIOS chip and take it to be progrmmed. I think the
days of sockets for BIOS chips have long gone.

A friendly electronics shop, University, industrial air con company, or
even car tuning garage such as Superchips should be able to do this. I
bet there's a glluger or two with an eprom burner who've played with
this before too.

Admittedly it's a bit extreme given the cost of motherboards but it's
the geek thing to do!

Ashley
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk