[Gllug] Re: Installing Flash player on Debian

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Sat Jun 4 18:25:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 12:35:47 +0100, Peter Joanes wrote:
> On Friday 03 June 2005 22:08, Mark Preston wrote:
> >  tar -xzvf install_flash_player_7_linux.tar.gz
> >  cd install_flash_player_7_linux/
> >  ./flashplayer-installer
> >
> > Works for me.
>
> I would like distributions to work to avoid this. I don't want to run an
> installer on my system and hopefully I won't have to because it's easy enough
> to integrate most programs (even proprietary) with the native package
> management scheme.
> I want to be able to find out which package a file belongs to, i.e. in this
> case, like this:
> # equery b /usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/flashplayer.xpt
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/lib32/nsbrowser/plugins/flashplayer.xpt in *... ]
> net-www/netscape-flash-7.0.25
>
> I think most distributions have some equivalent of this, and alternatively I'd
> prefer just a tarball, so I don't feel that "./flashplayer-installer" works
> for me.

The problem with doing that for non-free software is normally that the
author(s) of that software want you to agree to a licence screen before
letting you download the software.  This is very true in this case, and in
fact it would be illegal for a distribution to carry this software as a
native package without explicit written permission from Macromedia.  What
Debian does in this case (and others) is provide a package which gets you to
download the tarball (and agree with the licence) separately and place it in
/tmp (or other specified location) which the package then installs in a
managable way like all the other packages.

You shouldn't use non-free software anyway.  Use GPL Flash instead:

http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/

Yeah, I know it's inferior, but it's apparently moving again after five
years of inactivity, with the FSF now even trying to get people interested
in joining the effort.

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk