[Gllug] proxy-arp and a vpn

Tom Schutzer-Weissmann trmsw at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jun 18 21:41:02 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 19:58 +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 01:27 +0100, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> >  Both have the same ip address,
>

> Why? Does that even work? Why not just have them on different networks
> and enable forwarding?
>
> Seems to me that would be simpler

Well, you can't just enable forwarding, you have to use iptables to do
NAT as well. In fact, proxy-arp ended up being simpler in many ways (eg,
keystrokes :)

The other reason is that originally I did use forwarding, but certain
types of connection just didn't work reliably, ssh and vnc especially.
And so this whole saga began.

regards,
TW

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk