[Gllug] Bio visa applications may be outsourced

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jun 28 22:28:59 UTC 2005

Richard Turner <richard at zygous.co.uk> writes:

> On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 23:15 +0100, Matthew Thompson wrote:
>> Sorry but the BBC Micro was quite a success and that was in part due
>> to a government IT initiative.
>
> This is true, but didn't that scheme offer educational institutes a
> choice between the BBC Micro and the RM Nimbus?
>
> Given that the uptake of the Nimbus was also quite large, and eventually
> outstripped the Acorn and is still being bought, I'd say that's only a
> partial success at best!

Didn't RM teach M$ a lot about customer lockin? I seem to recall some
interesting stuff from the day about the many ways RM fileservers were
subtly incompatible with others, horror stories about RM sales tactics,
and so on.

(And if the Nimbus is still being bought, that's one impressive piece of
lockin. I never saw a Nimbus run for a whole day...)

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk