[Gllug] [OT] BBC R3 offers first 5 Beethoven symphonies for download

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 18:52:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:10:38PM +0100, Tom Schutzer-Weissmann wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 11:54 +0100, Anthony Newman wrote:
> > Richard Jones wrote:
> > > As (128 kbps) mp3s, no less:
> > >
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/beethoven/downloads.shtml
> > >
> > > Rich.
> > >

> > They're not bad at all, apart from the bloke yakking about it at the
> > beginning.
>
> People do yakk an incredible amount of cr8p about music. From now on I'm
> going to stick to "not bad", "not good", "not good at all", "not bad at
> all". As in, "Rachmaninov? ah hmn nbaa, you know? Mostly."

Well, you can say the same about a lot of things. A bit of background
can enhance your appreciation of a piece of music. I do find the
waffling on Radio 3 a bit much sometimes. However, they are vastly better
than the self-satisfying smug bastards that ramble on on Classic FM. I
gave up on that station in the end. Beethoven et al didn't spend their
lives writing music with all the sacrifice involved so that people could
"relax", "unwind" and "drift away leaving their cares behind" !!!
Grrr!

Steve
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk