[GLLUG] SELinux

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 09:45:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:32:05AM +0000, Steve Nelson wrote:
> A while back we failed to have a reasoned debate about SELinux - ie
> no-one said anything!  I thought I'd raise it again...

> Agk claimed that all professional linux sysadmins will need to
> understand it as it becomes mainstream over the next year or so.
>
> A counter opinion was raised - this is unlikely; SELinux is  "an
> over-engineered, non-Unix solution to a problem that affects a tiny
> minority of high-end systems."
>
> We're too old-fashioned to use SELinux - we're still running 2.4
> kernels - but what are other people's experiences and/or opinions?

I have to agree with Alasdair. It is something that I have briefly looked
at and decided that I must get my head round 'real soon now'. I know that
most of my customers only pay lip service to security (OK as long as it
costs little time or effort) but that they will winge and blame me when
something goes wrong.

In the Unix/Linux world we are sometimes arrogant and complacent but that is
just that we have an easier job than those stuck with M$. Unless we take
it seriously some of us will get red faces sooner or later.

I must admit that I often turn it (selinux) off on boxes that I look after
but that it because it sometimes stops applications doing things that are
OK and I don't understand how to reconfigure it.

Question:
If UKUUG was to run a 1 day SELinux tutorial at it's linux conference in
the Summer - how many would be interested in attending ?

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256

#include <std_disclaimer.h>